Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Low Cost of Living in Cuernavaca

In Cuernavaca, everything is cheap.

Vacationers arriving in Playa del Carmen think it's cheap, but when we arrived there, we almost packed up and left because of the prices (and the heat.) Cuernavaca really is cheap. When we arrived in Cuernavaca 5 days ago, we bought all of our groceries for the week for $20 at the local market. This was mostly lots of fresh, local fruit and vegetables, plus bread, tortillas, granola, rice and some other dry food like that. When we used to buy meat from the market butcher back when we used to live here it was only two or three dollars more.

My wife's cousins also gave us some oats, beans and zucchinis; they don't like oatmeal, and apparently brown beans are better than black ones (I can't taste the difference.) They've eaten so much zucchini that they don't want more. These people are not well to do, but I guess food is cheap enough here that they feel that can be picky. (Although I've known some very poor people in expensive places that were even pickier – a concept I've never been able to figure out.)

When we lived here, we paid $120 for rent. It was a small home with 1 very large bedroom, and a nice shared lawn. From what I understand, rent is still very affordable.

I guess that for most people, if you live here, it's hard to find a good income, so the two aspects balance each other out. It's perfect for someone who's income source is from somewhere else.

More about Cuernavaca:

The World's Perfect Climate

2 comments:

  1. what is the best way to get info on rentals for 2-4 wks stay in Cuernavaca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I can't help you on this one! My wife has relatives there, so we just stay with them. When family & friends came for our wedding, we just walked around town the week before and found hotels and vacation rentals. If I were there, I could probably get to those places, but just from my memory, I can't give a location.

    ReplyDelete