Friday, November 11, 2011

Online in Mexico - the Mexican Way!

Well, this isn't the connection I have, but I'm not sure which is sketchier.
After over a month of having internet access only at work and sporadically through a shared cell-phone network portable modem, I'm finally re-connected with a full-time internet connection at home!  The best part about it is that it's thoroughly Mexican way of getting the internet as well.

Back in Canada, if you want the internet, you call your phone company, they come and set it up, and it gets charged on your phone bill.  While this is definitely an option in a growing number of places in Mexico, phone lines have not yet been installed where I'm living - another difference, since I'm sure in Canada, homes wouldn't be sold before the phone lines go into the community.  The two options here are a cell-phone network connection like I mentioned above, or a sketchy wireless service that requires someone to put a big antenna on their roof.  I've now opted for this second option.  (No offense to anyone reading this who provides sketchy wireless connections -  I'm quite happy with mine right now!)

Fortunately I'm not the one with the big antenna on my roof.  One of my neighbors did that and he's splitting the service with a few people in the neighborhood.

So, now I can get back into my bad habits of staying up till 2 in the morning writing blogs and checking Facebook.

1 comment: