Monday, March 4, 2013

What Are Your Favourite Places in the World? One of Mine is in Valladolid …

One my favourite places that I've been too is probably fairly unremarkable.  There are no stores, cafes, art, music or anything else.  What makes it appealing to me is the fact that it's a quiet plaza in a colonial residential neighbourhood in an unknown town.  There is a view of an old monastery.

Recently a co-worker who visited there recently sent me some pictures of this very place:


 I remember sitting on the benches there, eating lunch with my oldest son when we visited for New Years 2012, and relaxing in the shade another time before than.  I always forget to bring my camera. Good thing other people don't!

This is the view of the monastery:


I believe it still functions as a monastery.  They have daily Mass in the chapel at least.  When the bells ring out breaking the quiet which generally permeates the calm community, it is simply beautiful.

The place is beautiful; the pleasure is so simple.

For more pictures and of my last visit to Valladolid, see Valladolid, A Mayan Colonial Town.  For a great description of a very different side of Valladolid, see A Visit to Valladolid, Colonial Yucatán: Parte Uno. (Besides this quiet corner of beauty, the writer captures the essence of what I like about Valladolid.)

3 comments:

  1. It sounds and looks beautiful!
    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link, Jacob! You're absolutely right, this park is incredible and stil lhas no shops but one corner store at the edge where Calle 41a opens up into the park.

    One day when we were there the "Feria Nacional del Libro" was set up as a long tent and bookshelves selling used and new books on a sunny afternoon. I'm sure it's a regular occurrence there, and it must have been a Saturday.

    I have some more photos to post from the recent trip, and this park will certainly make the list. We sat there in the benches pictured in your top photo for an hour, maybe almost two, doing nothing but just sitting and relaxing, not wanting to move. Maybe a few park bench beers and a cigar to pair with it was a nice extra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edward, I look forward to seeing the rest of your pictures. I'm sure that a lot things happen in Valladolid that I don't know about, like the Feria del Libro.

      I'm a pipe person myself. I think last time I was in this park I enjoyed a bowl.

      Delete