Saturday, April 30, 2011

Mexican Groceries in Elmira, Ontario


My hometown is Elmira, Ontario.  Upon returning to Canada, I found this calendar hanging in the house where my family is renting.  Notice the juxtaposition of contrasting features:
A Calendar From Elaine's Mexican Groceries
·         The calendar advertises a Mexican grocery store.
·         The store is in the small, white Anglo/Mennonite town of Elmira; when I was growing up there, I think the closest we had to “Mexican” was Taco Bell in the city (sad, but true.)
·         The calendar itself is in German; I suspect that this is to appeal to the area’s growing Old Colony Mennonite population, also known as Mexican Mennonites, because of their strong presence in the state of Chihuahua.  This is confirmed by the fact that the actual calendar pages are printed in Manitoba by Klassen’s Printing.  (Zoom in if you can.)  My family is originally Old Colony Mennonite.
·         The picture is of Villahermosa, Tabasco; I don’t think any Mennonites live in Villahermosa, and I don’t suspect that any Mexicans from Villahermosa live in Elmira.
I haven’t been to Elaine’s Mexican Groceries yet, but I’m guessing it’s pretty small.  In any case, it’s a good thing.  Mexican food is great, and a little taste of Mexico would be a nice touch colour and flavour for Elmira.
I’ll write another post after I go to Elaine’s some time down the road.

2 comments:

  1. It is always a good idea to try. :) We had tried so many different restaurants to find an authentic Mexican Flavor here in the tri-state area at US and found some goods one, and even excellent tamales and gorditas :).

    Hope that place has a great Mexican Food Flavor ;). So you and your family do not miss the Mexican "cousine" at all :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. We most certainly will try. Detroit actually has pretty good Mexican food, as does Toronto. It just costs much more ...

    ReplyDelete