Monday, December 26, 2011

Come to Mexico for a Great Vacation ... at Starbucks?

Playa del Carmen's Beaches
I've complained before that people come down for vacation to Mexico and in reality see nothing of Mexico.  But forget about culture, history and tradition.  We know 95% of tourists simply don't care about that stuff. But what about the wide, beautiful beaches that made places like Playa del Carmen and Cancun so famous?  It's the same story.

This afternoon my family and I went down to the beach. Weaving our way through the crowded Fifth Avenue (the main tourist street, running parallel to the beach, a block or two away) we saw crowds of mostly non-Mexican tourists (including many Americans, Canadians, Europeans, etc.)  A block and a half later, after about 2 minutes of walking, we arrived to the beach.  I would say about 90% of the people were Mexicans - a complete turn around from the trendy main drag, filled with stores and restaurants that you could easily find in any major North American city.

We arrived in the mid afternoon when it was still warm and sunny, and stayed until the early evening when the sun had gone down.  I waded in the water with my kids, and later went into the water alone, floating on my back and looking at the stars and moon above me.  It was absolutely beautiful!

Yet, I couldn't help but wonder; why do all these Americans, Canadians and Europeans spend so much money to come to come to the beach, and then not go to the beach?  The big selling point here in Playa del Carmen is the beaches, which are some of the world's most beautiful - so beautiful and relaxing, in fact, that they made me (a former and very decided hater of beaches) fall in love with beaches.  Yet instead, they go to drink beer at a bar.

It's not only downtown.  I've been to resorts and seen pictures of others, where it's the same story.  The pools, beach clubs, restaurants and tennis courts are full of people and alive.  If there are lounge chairs or canopy beds down where the sand begins, an adventurous spirit may wander down.  But the actual sand of the beach is empty of northern tourists, and you would think there's something wrong with the water, since no one's in it (even now in the middle of "winter" the water is comfortably warm; these tourists wouldn't know that, though.)

So, just my same question again - why would you spend all the money to come down here, and instead of enjoying some of the most beautiful beaches to be found, go to Johnny Rockets and Starbucks?

6 comments:

  1. I've made myself the same question everytime I go to Cancun or Cabo San Lucas... Maybe because most of this people come to Mexico for a warmer weather to do the things they like to do, instead of staying home, where temperatures are mostly cold and usually come with snow...

    I actually love seeing these people getting their skins burned and using tons of sunblocker while walking on the beach, i find it comical, because i don't like sun too much and they seem to enjoy hurting themselves.

    Beer tastes better in warm places, that's why...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that there is still some sense to it - it's warmer here. But if they really aren't going to spend time on the beach, they could go to so many other places in Mexico that are warm, and that are much cheaper (Merida, Cuernavaca, etc.)

    I also don't like the hot sun much. I've become an early morning/evening beach person. Besides avoiding the sun, the beach is also clear of tourists and pretty empty at these times. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could go to PlayaCar tomorrow. Or any day. I will be laying in the sand playing with my kids, or swimming in the sea with my daughter. Trying slowly to make my 2.5 yo to trust the water and explore his sensorial signals as he comes in -so different to mine, or almost anyone- .. I will probably try to wake up early to fed them breakfast and then go out and practice Yoga in front of the beach. And I will save a day to drive to Chichenitza, no matter is not really near by it is a possible drive and shouldn't be avoided. Then I might think about going to holbox or Cozumel, or maybe a walk to Cancun, but I mainly will stay at the beach getting toasted .. :) Love the Beach Mexican Beaches.. the one I have 20 minutes from here right now is pure Ice.. and it so rocky and shelly is kind of not fun to walk around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I wish I could also go to Valle de Bravo near Cuernavaca, to walk to the hills, and just walk and walk the whole morning to watch the rivers and waterfalls.. and then enjoy the pool under the rain every afternoon, because it ALWAYS rains in the afternoon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been to Valle de Bravo, but I love the area around Cuernavaca. I know what you mean about the rain - I even like being on the beach in the rain. Everyone else runs for cover, but you're wet from the ocean anyway, so why?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If there is lighting I might also run away for cover but if it is just rain and there is not "marea roja" then I'll stay in the ocean :).

    ReplyDelete