Tuesday, January 17, 2012

After 4 Years of No Pipe ...


Pipe Tool, Pipe and Package of Tobacco
After more than 4 years of not smoking my pipe, I finally took a little detour on our last family outing to the beach and bought a pack of pipe tobacco downtown (Playa del Carmen).  There was little variety, and the workers new nothing about the tobacco - they only read me the name from the package, as though I couldn't do it for myself.  So I choose the flavour that sounded most like the ones I used to like - sweet rum.

Fortunately, the package was well sealed and the tobacco inside was still relatively fresh.  (I've had some in Canada that was completely dry and crumbly, and hence virtually useless.  Never from the Walper Tobacco Shop downtown Kitchener, though.  Theirs was always fresh.  They're located in the Walper Hotel, at the corner of King and Queen if anyone's interested.  Best tobacco shop I've been to to date.  I intend to go back on my next visit to Canada.  See their Facebook page for some OK pictures.)

Me smoking a pipe in 2006 when my wife and I met - a favourite picture of hers
My pipe was safely put away in a box under the bed; I was actually surprised since my wife tends to through (or give) anything away that we haven't used in a year.  She had stored it with her wedding veil and about 5 other items of sentimental value that have official and permanent immunity to spring cleaning (which never happens in the spring, but at random times throughout the year.) Perhaps she gave the pipe this immunity since was because when we first met I used to smoke my pipe.  Or maybe out of thoughtfulness for me, since she knows how much I used to like it.  In any case, I was touched.


My pipe tool (as seen in the picture above) was neatly stored in my old wallet where it has been untouched for the last 4 years.  (The same old wallet I've used for almost a decade, I believe - the same one I've always used to store my pipe tool - besides cash and bank cards.)  It's a great wallet, from Mountain Equipment Coop.  Still as good as new - except that it's dirty. I could probably clean it.  I'm sure if I didn't use it, my wife would throw it out.  But that's beside the point right now.

My old MEC wallet with the pipe tool inside
On Sunday evening, I packed my pipe and sat down on my front lawn, with the cool evening breeze (refreshing after the hot day), packed my pipe, and enjoyed a good smoke for the first time in four years.  I enjoyed it.  I still like the flavour and the process packing, lighting, and doing something that is slow and, by it's very nature, not rushed.

(A little note: I thought it would be worth pointing out that I have smoked a pipe, it just wasn't mine, and definitely not often; I think it was probably 2 or 3 times.)






The Walper in Kitchener - I didn't buy my tobacco here this time, but I will next time.

The pipe tobacco selection in the Walper

No comments:

Post a Comment