Friday, January 13, 2012

The Morning Edition - Curses and Weddings

This more of a "midnight edition" than a "morning edition" but the concept is the same, so I'll leave the title the same.  After some time of mostly abandoning my blog, I've come back to find out that popularity peaked at a time when was ignoring it completely with almost 1800 visits during the month of November (yes, I know in the blogging world, these numbers are really low, but they're an accomplishment for me!)

Other than that, the big news is that just recently my blog passed 15,000 total page views.  The totals are less interesting than the breakdown of popularity by posts:

The number 1 most popular is still The Curse of the Eye, a post about a very common superstition in Mexico - so common, that many people don't recognize it as a superstition; they see it more as a reality, like the common cold.  It has a total of over 3000 visits, and continues to top the weekly numbers every week.  I've realized, though, that a big part of its popularity is connected to the Sauron eye image I put at the top, which people look for in Google.  Sauron's eye has nothing to do with the superstition, but I thought it looked good.

This post is followed up by My Mexico City Experience - Pulque, about a popular and ancient Mexican drink, What really makes you Mexican?, a discussion if I can really call myself Mexican or not, and Cuernavaca and Drug-related Violence, a post about a real wave of violence in a beautiful colonial city, and how that does (and doesn't) affect life there.  Each of these is between 400 and 500 visits.

Finally, a new record was set by A Tragic Wedding, a sad (and true) story of an arranged marriage and a love lost for for life.  This story has only 40 visits, but they were all the same day I posted it.  I don't think any of my posts have gained that many visits so quickly. The "Curse of the Eye" has gained more than 40 visits consistently, but not when I first posted it - it took a while to catch on.

And the title of this post - well, it's just about the two posts that are most important in today's update.  But on the other hand, the "curse of the eye" is a concern at weddings, I think.  Also, rings seem to have to something to do with both of them (hence the picture, again stolen from unofficial imagery based on "The Lord of the Rings" even though it really has nothing to do with the post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment