Tuesday, May 22, 2012

This bus has room for YOU!

A while back, I remember reading that the Archbishop of Canterbury complaining about traditional Anglicans leaving the Anglican Communion.  He said something like, “The Anglican Communion still has room for those who are traditional.”  I think his comment shows how badly he has missed the point: if I understand what is happening, those leaving are not interested in whether the Communion “has room for them,” but more importantly the direction in which the Anglican Communion is headed; they’re not so concerned about whether the bus has room for them, but more where the bus is going.  Seeing that the bus is not heading the right direction (as they see it) they would rather get off and get on a different bus.

 

If you allow me to extend the bus metaphor, I’ve seen people choose their bus for a number of different reasons.  Some people will get on a bus simply because their is comfortable room for them.  Others will get on a bus because of the other people; they look like people they like, so at least it will be a fun ride – it doesn’t really matter where it’s going.  Some will choose a bus that looks nice, feels comfortable or is relaxing.  Maybe the music is good.  Other people think the bus is being driven badly and, intending to help those on the bus, will get on with the intention of instructing or replacing the driver, or perhaps even changing the direction.

 

The list of reasons could go on.

 

I chose my bus because I think it’s heading in the right direction to the right place.  It’s not always a nice bus to be on; sometimes there is little room, and it’s crowded, only leaving room to stand, crushed between two large passengers, like a subway in Mexico City.  Sometimes the other people aren’t so nice.  Other times they’re great people.  Sometimes the riding is rough, and it’s hard to hold on.  I’d guess most people have fallen now and then.  It seems to me that it’s actually more of a train than a bus. I’ve heard there are parts that are really comfortable and luxurious, although I haven’t seen them.  Sometimes there’s good music, sometimes it’s horrible; sometimes the road (or perhaps track?) is so rough that you can’t hear the music.  Other times noisy, inconsiderate passengers drown out all other sound. At times, the ride is smooth and quiet, and I enjoy the seemingly perfect scenery outside.

 

In any case, it’s not enough to tell me that a bus has room for me, that it’s comfortable and pleasant or even that the people are nice, intelligent, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Cool bus!! I like to ride in buses rather than driving my car...it's cheaper, you can do other things such as reading a book, it's less polluting, etc.

    ReplyDelete