Wednesday, May 8, 2013

In Loving Memory

This Sunday morning, on May 5, Pedro Lopez, my wife's maternal grandfather, passed away at the age of 89.

Matias Pedro Lopez Jaimes, Feb. 24, 1924 - May 5, 2013, requiescat en pace
Please take a moment and say a prayer for him.

Eternal memory. Eternal memory. Grant to your servant, O Lord, blessed repose and eternal memory.
 
He lived a long life of good health and great enthusiasm. Last time I saw him, a bit more than a year ago, he complained that he could walk only 3 or 4 kilometers (about 2 or 3 miles) without his walking stick.  As I told everyone then, this was still healthier than most young people I know; yet, he said he felt weakened.  It was only the last 2 months of his life that he was ill and needed a wheelchair to get around in.

His only illness was that his body was worn out from old age and a life of very hard work.

I am glad that at the moment he died, 4 of his 5 children were at his side, as well as his brother Palemon.  From the account I heard, he ended his life pleasantly and in comfort.

My wife misses him greatly since she spent most of her childhood summers on his farm.

To see all posts related to my wife's dear Grandpa, click here.  It gives a very, very small glimpse of the rich life he lived.

1 comment:

  1. Memory Eternal! sorry for your loss. My grandpa is dying of cancer and it's been so hard. There is never an easy time to say good-bye to our loved ones. Give Cecy a hug for us.

    ReplyDelete