Sunday, May 12, 2013

In Xubuntu, Firefox Works Perfectly (and Thunderbird)

The Firefox-Ubuntu Logos combined
So, here it is: my apology to Mozilla, the developer of Firefox.

My (Unmerited) Quarrel with Firefox
Almost a month ago, I changed to Chrome and posted an embittered complaint against Firefox on this blog.

Then, about 2 weeks ago, encountering the same problems of a bogged down computer, I came to the conclusion that the main the problem was that my mini was not meant for an operating system like Windows 7 (which I suspected from the very beginning).

And Then ... Xubuntu
I proceeded to removed Windows 7 in favour of Xubuntu (a lightweight version of Ubuntu) which has been working flawlessly on my 1 GB mini.

My personalized setup of Firefox in Xubuntu
With Xubuntu came Firefox and Thunderbird, Mozilla's e-mail program which I had used with near-religious dedication previous to my short-lived conversion to Chrome. (After ditching Firefox, I also replaced Thunderbird for the offline apps for Gmail and G-Calendar on Chrome.)

I figured I would give them a second chance; after all, if they worked well, it would only confirm that Windows 7 was indeed the main problem.

Result: They have worked amazingly well! No slowdowns, no delays, no bogging down, no crashes, etc.

Thunderbird with more features, working better!

The Ubuntu-Google Search default start page
Additionally, I set up:
  • Lightning (Thunderbird's calendar) which I had also used before
  • Synchronization with Google Calendar (which I had set up during my abandonment of Mozilla)
  • Synchronization of my Google address book with that of Thunderbird (this process is not flawless, but it is consistent, so I can easily work around the glitches)
  • Synchronization of Gmail, so I can read and send mail from that account in Thunderbird, which automatically synchronizes with Gmail

All the synchronization is instant and 2-way.

Thunderbird E-mail program in Xubuntu
Besides the fact that these services make my life easier by bringing my Google account to my desktop and usable offline, they should make Thunderbird heavier and slower starting up than before.

However, to the contrary, running in Xubuntu, it loads within a few seconds and never slows down, freezes or crashes as it did daily running in Windows 7.  Firefox loads in about 1 second.

Don't Drink (Windows 7) and Drive (a mini)
Again, for the record, I have nothing against Windows 7 per se.  However, it was simply not made to work on a mini laptop with only 1 GB of memory (or "netbook" I believe they're called more officially.)

But there are good, free operating system alternatives out there.  Xubuntu is one of them.  It is easier to change systems than endless try to tweak W7 and try lighter programs to make it work on a system that simply can't handle it.

Lightning Calendar in Thunderbird for Xubuntu
Firefox is Back
So, needless to say, Firefox is back for me, probably to stay, along with Thunderbird.  I flirted with the idea of trying Chrome.  I tried Chromium (the same thing) for about an hour, but saw no real advantage.  Both work well.  Chrome is fine, and I see no problem with it.  If I ever have problems with Firefox in the future, I will not hesitate to go back.

But Firefox, the browser I know and like best, turned out NOT to be the problem and actually works really well in my new operating system.

I am now happily in the Mozilla camp once again.

In other news, yesterday I installed Xubuntu on another mini that I had left abandoned as "fried" for two years. It too works flawlessly.  But that will be another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment