Friday, May 13, 2011

Springtime in Canada

Tulips and DafodilsWhile living in year-round warm weather sounds (and is) attractive for many reasons, there’s something wonderful about the passing of real seasons – seasons you can see, feel, smell and even hear.

I love the weather in Mexico – especially places like Cuernavaca – but the seasons really only pass on the calendar, and the change between sunny and rainy or hot and really hot (in the case of Playa del Carmen) really don’t match up with the traditional northern seasons I love so much, besides the fact that the complete appeal to all senses isn’t so noticeably present.

Today my wife, who can’t stand weather colder than 20 degrees Celsius, told me that there was something extraordinarily beautiful in seeing gardens full of freshly blooming flowers, bright green leaves just beginning to sprout from their buds, and lush, green grass, all against a sunny sky, on a day that’s finally warm enough to take off your sweater – after so many weeks of cold, grey, rainy days, with spring battling to emerge from a unseemly long season that resembled late winter more than anything else.  You can smell the flowers and freshly cut grass.  You can hear the birds singing in a sort of relief, a proclamation of the coming warmth.

Getting on an airplane and flying somewhere warm just doesn’t have the same rich appeal to the senses.

There’s is something very beautiful in this changing of the seasons in Canada.  I love every season in Canada just because it is such a beautiful contrast to the one that proceeds it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with your wife. I love the "seasons changes" when the flowers start growing, when everything turns pink and white and yellow and then green, and then orange and red and ocre, and then all the leaves fall, and then snow and everything turns white.. I love all those sights. And I never experience those really easy to see season changes until I moved north. :)

    ReplyDelete