Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mennonite Cheese - A Favourite in Mexico, and at Home

My mom heating the whey, after curdling.
 One point I don't think I've mentioned is that my family actually has a history with Mexico; I grew up partially as an Old Colony Mennonite, also informally known as Mexican Mennonites because of their strong presence in the states of Chihuahua and Durango in Mexico.

The curds and whey.
In Mexico, the cheese that these people make is famous.  The cheese is delicious.  I've been fortunate enough that my parents, who grew up in Mexico, know how to make this cheese at home.

The pictures in this post are some pictures of cheese being made in my parents home.  This was today.  The cheese will be ready in about a month; my dad gets a little impatient, though, and starts eating the cheese before its ready.

My son and I pressing the cheese.
Oh well, the cheese is delicious anyway, as anyone who has bought it in Mexico will know.

5 comments:

  1. I love that cheese! Would love to know how to make it at home. Although no dairy here sadly :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. can i please get the recipe to make mennonite cheese? i love it and would like to make it at home too.

    sr.barrigas_818@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll see if I can get the recipe from my parents. I know that the more difficult ingredient to find is rennet, and the the process is very important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love the recipe too!!! I have a dairy cow and dairy goats and make all kinds of dairy products. This is a cheese I've been looking for a recipe for and haven't had much luck.
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still waiting for the recipe......

    ReplyDelete