Saturday, January 1, 2011

My New Year's Resolution

For the past few years I've made the same resolution every year, and I've kept it 100% (or completely failed it, depending on how you look at it.)

The resolution is "This year, I will not make any New Year's resolution."

It's easy enough to keep, unlike those ones about loosing weight or learning a new language, where you do it for the first week of January, while the emotion of a new resolution still keeps you motivated, and then dies suddenly and completely.

Why don't I make any New Year's resolution?  Well, as everyone knows, no one really keeps them anyway.  So what's the point of making such a big commitment that in reality you're not going to carry out?

Besides that, 2010 was an amazing year for me, and I'm sure 2011 will be a continuation of many of the great things which happened last year. I got a job which is ideal for my family life.  My second son was born.  Exactly 16 years after deciding to adhere to my religion in a conscientious choice, I've finally started getting a glimpse of what it really means.  I have a wonderful marriage, and a very supportive and lovely wife (this didn't start in 2010, but it kept going well in 2010,) and I bought a house.  I'm sure there are a few important things I'm missing, but these are some of the most outstanding good things that happened for me.  Of course, as you will know, I'm enjoying life in Mexico.

If I am granted the fortune, these will continue into next year; why make a resolution for some big change in my life when so many beautiful things are happening?  These are far more important than any resolution I choose could be.

While resolving not to make a resolution was at first just a kind of joke for me to tell people, this year I'm really resolved that resolutions are pointless; and this year, the great things happening for me give my resolve some reason.

So, Happy New Years!  Have a wonderful 2011!  (And if you made a resolution, I hope you achieve it and, more importantly, that it does all the good for you that you imagined.)

No comments:

Post a Comment